The 500th execution in Texas is now on the schedule. The 500th execution under the current schedule will happen on June 26, 2013 when Kimberly McCarthy is scheduled for execution. There may be stays or additions in the schedule that change the date of the 500th. Right now 497 people have been executed in Texas in the modern era.
We urge everyone in Texas and our friends worldwide to take action leading up to the 500th execution to let Texas know that it should stop executions with a moratorium and begin the process of repealing the death penalty.
We originally posted this information on December 12, 2012, but because there have been more execution dates set, we updated the post on February 4 and again on May 9 to reflect the new date for the 500th execution.
Texas is nearing 500 executions in the modern era since the 1976 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that the death penalty was constitutional. Texas conducted its first execution after the ruling in 1982.
To express your opposition to any execution, you can contact Governor Rick Perry’s office at 512 463 2000. If you call after business hours, you can leave a voice mail message. During business hours, someone should answer the phone. You can also send a message using a form on Perry’s official website.
498) Jefferey Williams, May 15, 2013
499) Elroy Chester III, June 12, 2013
500) Kimberly McCarthy, June 26, 2013
501) Rigoberto Avila Jr July 10, 2013
502) John Quintanilla Jr. July 16, 2103
503) Vaughn Ross, July 18, 2013
504) Douglas Feldman, July 31, 2013
505) Robert Garza, September 19, 2013
506) Arturo Diaz September 26, 2013